Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Santo Tomas, Guatemala

From: Sherman Rootberg
Date: Jan 3, 2007 9:10 PM
Subject: Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Santo Tomas, Guatemala

This place is just a large modern cargo port. There is nothing here for tourists. They provide a free 200 yard drive in a shuttle to area where they put in a few stands with tourist junk. Those that went there tell us that you are absolutely mobbed as soon as you start to depart the shuttle. Then there is really nothing you would want to buy. We have been to many places like that around the world. I would have gone anyhow,

Today was my turn. Bobbi’s was yesterday. My eyes were glued and very itchy when I got up this morning. So off to the doctor we went. Different nurse today. No sense of humor. When I asked for the group rates her answer was, huh? The doctor said I had allergies just like Bobbi and gave me the same very strong steroid eye drops. You take a drop every hour for 5 hours then another at bed time. What ever we have I got it much worse. It itches so badly I can’t stop robbing and scratching around my eyes. I’ve had 5 drops now and there is not much if any improvement.

The few tours offered were not much or very expensive. Like $450 each to Tikal. As there are no tourist facilities here what so ever, everything and everyone must transport in and stay the night before and after. That’s why everything is so expensive there are no attractions and you have to go pretty far to see stuff that is not worth the time. So as long as I couldn’t see and was very uncomfortable we did nothing.

There must be a severe shortage of ports for them to go to a nothing place like this. There was also an NCL ship docked behind us. And it is a shame because Guatemala is beautiful and has many beautiful things to see. Just not here.

No comments: