Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bridgetown, Barbados (1/13/2007)

From: Sherman Rootberg (BiggiRoot)
Date: Jan 13, 2007 7:53 PM
Subject: Saturday, January 13, 2007

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bridgetown, Barbados

First off, I got a few replies regarding Joey’s comments and the pictures. My old friend Bertram from Boston says he thinks I look prettier. I always knew he liked me. Joey from Vegas says he will always think Bobbi is prettier. I just knew he had no taste in men. And last but not least. Pam from Hollywood, Florida says I look like Mafia. I’ll let you read the note she sent and my reply.

Pam wrote:
Good picture! Did anybody ever tell you that you look like the Jewish Maffia version of Tony Soprano? LOL!

You're looking pretty tough there -- especially in those black clothes... It's a good thing your name is Sherman, or I'd be a shakin' in my boots!


I replied:
I don't know. They keep telling me I look like a priest here. Priest, Mafia. Pretty much the same thing according to friends who went to Catholic school, but I guess you found me out. Okay, I'll spill the beans. My real name is Spike. The dog is Sherman.

We started docking at about 11:30 this morning. We have been here many, many times. This island is not Volcanic like many in the Caribbean. It is a coral island. It has no mountains, just some rolling hills. It is, by far, the furthest east island in the Caribbean. On the east side is the Atlantic Ocean. There are no useable beaches on this side of the island and the waves are usually crashing in. The west side is on the Caribbean and is usually calm with beautiful beaches.

Barbados is probably the first island in the Caribbean to handle tourism. It is said that George Washington stayed here. While there are many good sites to see, the best is the Harrison Caves. They are huge. They take you through in truck like trams. There are clear ponds, waterfalls, and rivers everywhere you look. Beautiful lighting has been done by Walt Disney industrial lighting.

Because we had been here so many times we took no further tour of the island. We walked to the commercial part of the pier. There is a large warehouse that had been made into a shopping center of tourist junk many years ago. Nothing much to see so we went back to the ship. The picture is of the warehouse on the pier that we walked to. Nothing much has changed in years.

No comments: