Monday, January 08, 2007

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas (1/8/2007)

From: Sherman Rootberg
Date: Jan 8, 2007 7:16 PM
Subject: Monday, January 08, 2007


Monday, January 08, 2007

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Another Really nice beach island with great facilities. This place was not as upscale as Roaton Island. There was no dock. The tenders had large ramps on the front and lowered them to let us walk right up on the beach without getting wet. This was, however, real sand and not trucked in or dredged up. It was very soft. There were other little islands or cays nearby that were also being used as cruise ship stops. There was a Royal Caribbean Ship at the next island. That island looked like it was almost touching this one. There were facilities for maybe 2000 people to accommodate the larger ships. Our ship had only a total of six hundred and some passengers and only a fraction came ashore. The place looked almost deserted. As usual the food was good and service terrific.

I couldn’t go swimming yet with my badly chapped nose and I’m supposed to stay out of the sun until I get another cancer chopped off my face next May. So we just went for the tender ride, walked around, had lunch and looked at the over priced straw (junk) market. We didn’t stay long and as we were leaving they were bringing the caviar ashore. We had been told they were going to do that thing they do in the ads. They were going to have waiters in formal attire walk into the ocean and serve caviar and Champaign. Been there, done that. Bet it would have made a great picture though. But Bobbi had to get her nails done and her hair fixed. This reminds me.

For those who remember how I looked when I left. I don’t look like that anymore. I had an accident the other night that I didn’t tell you about. We were running a little late for dinner. I noticed my side burns were getting a little too bushy. I have an electric trimmer. Actually it’s a beard trimmer from the olden days when I needed one. Well, there is a numbered setting on it for hair length. Side burns should be set at 3 for the closest you would want. Either someone played with it, which is a possibility because it is very hard to change the settings, or somehow it got bumped hard enough to change the setting. Whatever, it didn’t do me a whole lot of good. I didn’t have glasses with me when I went merrily chopping away. I really should have had those glasses on because I don’t see too well, close up, without them. After chopping on the second one I realized I couldn’t see the first one at all. Which I knew was not good because the second one now looked just like the first. Non existent. My first thought was that I was just not seeing well do to my recent eye illness. I went and got my glasses and looked in the mirror again. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I first thought it might have been. It was worse. I found the trimmer was set on one and I had no sideburns at all.

Bobbi was very good about it. She tried really hard to hold back her laughter, NOT! Now I know she must have changed the setting on my trimmer on purpose. No matter. I usually blame these things on her anyhow. I’m sure the sideburns will grow back in two or three weeks. She will just have to continue to pretend she is not with me until then.

No comments: